The Purpose of Testing for Martial Arts Vancouver.
The Purpose of Testing
- Progress Check:- To pinpoint areas of strengths and weaknesses. To learn to turn the weakness into strengths and to make the strong points stronger.
- Provide Reinforcement:- (internally and externally) Internally, personal satisfaction upon achievement and externally, the receipt and status of belt and certificate.
- Teaches Goal Setting and Achievement:- Discipline and Application of martial concepts are needed. “To plan your work and work your plan.”
- 1. All start at the bottom
- 2. Everyone works
- 3. Nothing is Free.
- Counterpoint: “Training is its own reward.”
Purpose of Test
By James Keating
We have testing because we wish to go beyond the normal levels of skill. To undergo such rigors is symbolic of fighting for one’s very life. An ancient ritual of survival where one earns the right to exist and enter into a lifelong struggle for self-perfection and enlightenment. When each test is successfully completed we do not see an end, but rather a beginning. A new starting point for our inner-selves. Every test is separate and unique. To compare tests is to miss the basic premise of the martial arts. The “individual spirit” must always be placed before the physical and mental limitations. We are taught to have personal and social balance; to stand with confidence and poise. This individuality is what eventually leads to mastery, a process of self-realization. One should always train hard with control and respect. We are being tested on many levels besides just the conquering of foes.
Testing is not always a physical matter, sometimes it is a “right of passage” via daily life. Look deeply into your concepts of rank, testing and related endeavors. Win, lose, pass or fail you must conduct yourself in a manner befitting a warrior at all times. Whether testing or being tested, you need only to practice with all your being and nothing shall come between you and your dream.